Thursday, September 1, 2011

Noooooooooooooo!



Hell of a way to start this one off, eh? How's about that upcoming Blu-ray release of the Star Wars saga?

I'm referring, of course, to the news that Uncle George is yet again making some more tweaks and changes to the saga for this new release, and the uproar has been pretty impressive. First and foremost on the list of changes is some new dialogue added for Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi.

In response to this, I'd like to show this short YouTube video.

Yes, you heard that right. From a guy with "Jedi" in his name. Look, I'm a fan, obviously. I grew up with these films, just like many of you. They are absolutely a part of my life. They are the sole reason why I got into visual effects and filmmaking in general, which has turned me into a big movie buff overall.

But seriously.. boycotting the release? Why? Do you people really not know just how small a percentage you really are? You're the minority within the minority. Think about all the people that are going to buy this. Of those, we'd be lucky if even half of them were aware that any changes have ever been made to the films. Of those, maybe 10% actually know what all of the changes are, or can recognize them when they see in the films. Of those, maybe 30% don't like some of the changes. Of those, maybe 20% really hate the changes, and of those... maybe half that say they won't buy it.

But see, that's the great thing about the internet.. you can say whatever you want. Hells yeah, I'm boycotting the s**t out of that release! But damned if you're not standing at Best Buy when the doors open, waving your credit card in the air like a flag.

I bet the majority of people who claim to "boycott" the release will actually do no such thing. And who are we to know? It's the internet.. no one knows anyone.

And the end result of all that boycotting? Maybe a 0.1% decrease in potential profits on day one of the Blu-ray release. In other words, Lucasfilm won't care. Chances are they won't even notice.

So say whatever you want. Do whatever you want. Come September 16th, I'll be kicking back with a big bowl of popcorn watching A New Hope in 1080p and pissing off my neighbors. And loving every minute of it.

I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. Forget the Nooooooo !!
    I'm still pissed over "Han Shot first"

    ReplyDelete