Sunday, March 3, 2013

Is Always-Online Really the Devil?

So I've been chatting on several boards lately regarding the upcoming release of SimCity, and I'm surprised by the number of people put off by the whole "Always-on" DRM that the game employs. Well, there's a few things to consider. First off, it's not exclusively just DRM. The game does feature a strong multiplayer component. While I don't necessarily feel I'll be joining in much myself, I understand that it really does need to be there.

Now, this hearkens back to another discussion a year or so ago about Diablo III, and its always-on requirement. The same kind of outrage hit the 'net that time, too. And at first, I joined in. I mean, it was a single-player game, after all, much like SimCity. I didn't think that it was necessary to always be connected.

Then it hit me: I'm always online anyway. What f'in difference did it make? I use Steam, for cryin' out loud.. that's an always-on solution, too. Yes, yes, I know it has an "offline mode", but to be honest, I've never once felt the need to use it. I'm not one of those "mobile" gamers who likes to carry around a high-end gaming laptop so I can play Crysis 3 on the go. I have one gaming system, and it's my PC. I don't even game on my tablet. And really, if you're that much into gaming that you have a ridiculously expensive laptop that can run all that stuff, then it's probably worth your while to be able to get that thing online just about anywhere. It's more than possible today. Get a wi-fi hotspot, tether your phone, or just buy a laptop that has LTE built right into it. I'm sure they make that kind of thing by now, don't they? If not, they should. That's a freebie, Alienware, off you go.

Online is not only about multiplayer. Even for single-player games, it's about sharing. I can, if I want, link my games with Facebook or Twitter or any of those, and then everyone will know when I get the latest achievement or whatever. And that requires a constant internet connection.

And yes, I'm one of those non-social gamers who tends to play single-player titles. But I'm okay with "always online". You know why? Because I'm always online. And so are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment